All News Stories
Weekend Walk, Sunday 3 February 2019
Our February London Walk [entitled ‘From House of Power to Powerhouse’] took place in glorious cloudless winter weather. The start-point was the church of St Mary’s on the south bank of the River Thames at Putney, where the Levellers convened their famous debates in 1647, during the Civil War, but after crossing the river by means of the footway adjacent to the District Line bridge, almost all the rest of the walk was on the north bank.
There was much evidence of work in progress on the new Thames overflow sewer, but often this was obscured by tasteful artwork attached to otherwise unsightly boarding. A helicopter came and went as we enjoyed some coffee opposite what used to be called the Westland Heliport, and the carefully restored bridge carrying the West London line was identified as the Cremorne Bridge.
Chelsea Harbour dozed in the winter sunshine as we progressed past the shell of Lots Road Power Station, and then the desirable residences in the vicinity of Cheyne Walk were awash with blue plaques.
Thank heavens for Google, otherwise we would never have realised that magnificent Crosby Hall had been moved, brick by brick, from the City in 1910.
Chelsea Bridge took us back to the south bank once more and, tossing a coin, we elected for a pub lunch at the renovated Duchess Belle for a Sunday roast, opting to defer the fish menu of Wright Brothers for another day.
Photos of the day can be found in the Members Area Galleries.