Lord Mayor's Show 2016

The Lord Mayor’s Show is the highlight of the city’s calendar. A number of us, including our Master Kevin Thomas, joined the parade as part of the Modern Companies Float, while Jean Jesty walked with the St John Ambulance cadets. …read more

WcoTA Visit to the London Transport Museum at Acton

On an unseasonably warm and sunny October day an intrepid group of us joined the Master (Kevin Thomas)  on a trip beyond the West End to the outpost of the London Transport Museum at Acton for a private tour. After an introduction to the collection which comprises the bulk of the Museum's holdings and serves as a store, with access to workshops to restore and repair items, we were split into two groups and toured both the main store and the small objects collection. …read more

National Insurance - Tax or Social Welfare? presented by Peter Allen



National Insurance-Tax or Social Welfare? was the theme of our meeting on 25 October, presented by Peter Allen, one of our regulars who is Research Manager, Tax Policy and Insight at the iCAEW. …read more

Master’s Day at Rugby School

Alison Lovejoy reports...


Each year the Master invites members of the Company to spend a day at a place of their choice.  On Saturday 9 July, the Master, Anthony Thomas, treated about 25 of us to a tour of the famous Rugby School.  The school was founded in 1567 by Lawrence Sheriff, purveyor of spices to Queen Elizabeth 1 as a free Grammar school for the boys of Rugby.  Lawrence Sheriff School continues today as an exceptional Grammar school in the town and the Master is the current Chair of the governing body. The links between both schools remain strong which is why Anthony was able to facilitate access to Rugby School during the holiday. …read more

City Walk

Alison Lovejoy reports...


On 24 June, thankfully in fine weather, about 25 of us set off from the Monument on our annual City Walk.  2016 is the 350th Anniversary of the Great Fire of London, the devastating fire that destroyed much of the City of London.  It was therefore very appropriate that were going to retrace the path of the fire. …read more

Civic and Charities Lunch

On Tuesday 7 June the Master, Anthony Thomas hosted the Civic and Charities lunch at Armourers’ Hall in the City of London.  As usual, it was held in splendid surroundings with excellent wine and outstanding food.  The Hall was filled to capacity which gives some indication as to the importance placed by the City of London on the Company and their work.  Members of the Company and guests, were joined by new Liveryman, Hiten Bathia and his wife;  Hiten had been installed at the Court meeting immediately preceding the lunch.  …read more

Museum of Comedy

Aileen Barry reports: 

In April, The WCOTA joined with the Company of Plumbers for an evening at the Players Theatre, now located in the Museum of Comedy, The Crypt of St George's Church, Bloomsbury Way, Holborn. …read more

The Brigantes Breakfast at Cutlers Hall Sheffield

Sue Christensen reports:

Yet another excellent event in the Brigantes calendar took place in Sheffield in the magnificent surroundings of Cutlers Hall. The present Cutlers Hall was built in 1832 on the same site as the original which was erected in 1638 for The Company of the Cutlers in Hallamshire. …read more

First Blog Posting

This is the first blog post. …link

Visit To The Birmingham Royal Ballet

Arnold Homer, who organised the event, reports:

On 27 February, the Company enjoyed a splendid programme by the Birmingham Royal Ballet of the heart rendering Romeo and Juliet, following dinner at the theatre during which one of the dancers gave a brief explanation of the production.  This particular production was one of the first after the name of the Sadlers Wells Company was changed after the move to Birmingham some 25 years ago, and taking advantage of the excellent facilities at the Hippodrome Theatre, continue to impress with its sumptuous costumes, superb Prokofiev’s  musical score and dedication of this most excellent dance company. …read more